Monday, February 15, 2010

Valentine's Day Feast or How to gain 5 pounds in one day!

Katie made us some fabulous, hand drawings to get us in a celebratory mood. Sadly, she spent most of the day sick after a lovely night with the stomach flu, fever, chills and body aches. But with a little Tylenol she was able to muster up enough enthusiasm to share her drawing talents with us.
Ella was enchanted with my candy heart table decorations. "You can eat them," she was overheard exclaiming. Thank goodness, I was channeling Martha Stewart that day.
Grilled Lobster tails were the main event at our Valentine fete. (I had to tell Jackson that swords were not allowed at the table before and after the picture! He had trouble grasping the concept. Why shouldn't a 5 year-old be allowed to eat with his sword at the table? Well, for one look at the picture. He looks positively devilish.)
My very first (probably last) red velvet cake. A bottle and a half of red food coloring and a pound of butter, in case you were wondering. (Yikes!)
Robert surprised me with red roses. I fainted dead away and had to be revived with smelling salts. Just kidding. Oh, but sometimes that man can charm me! :)

4 comments:

MediocreMama said...

Looks fabulous. I actually love Valentine's Day...especially when I get red roses. And that cake looks divine; nice work.

Meredith Hayes said...

I love this blog post!

Really, I love it!

Keep Jackson with you when you walk down a dark alley. You'll be safe as safe can be. It makes me wonder what life would have been like with Jackson in NYC.

Meredith Hayes said...

And P.S. tell Kate I'm sorry she had to spend her weekend with her stomach punishing her. Whenever I have the stomach flu I spend the entire time thinking, "WHY haven't I spent EVERY SECOND of NORMAL HEALTHY LIFE thanking the stars above that I'm NOT PUKING!!!" Suffering in silence doesn't pair with barfing. ANyway, I hope Kate is feeling better and that no other muffins of yours got the bug.

LATE FOR WORK!

Babelicious said...

I'm super impressed that you can serve lobster tails and your kids think nothing of it. If I put those on the table ALL 4 of them would be bawling their eyes out and I would be furious that I just didn't go the mac n cheese route. Everything looks so good--definately gourmet. I love the candy on the table--that's one of our favorite v-day traditions.