Monday, August 24, 2009

The first day of school


I've been looking forward to this day for weeks, months and maybe even years. I've felt the tingles of delight and awe as I have anticipated the moment where the majority of my children would be in school. I've made lists. So much time, so many things I can do. The options are endless. How tidy my house will be! How gourmet my dinners will be! How fabulous I will look! How crafty I will be! How organized I will become! How my garden will grow! How my bills will be paid on time and without peanut butter smudges on them!
Oh, and I can't tell you the thrill I felt thinking about putting a toy in its proper place and it settling in and getting comfortable for at least a couple of hours. Oh, the joy! The rapture of peace! I wouldn't have to put anyone in time-out or solve any squabbles.

Well, today the day finally came. I tried not to dance, sing and twirl as I rushed the kids out the door and dropped them at their respective doors.


Why, oh, why must life always be bitter-sweet? No sooner than I walked to my car, I missed my three children. Tears pricked at my eyes and I felt melancholy. How do they grow up so fast, really how do they? I missed J's flowers and slobbery kisses, Ella's sly or shy smiles depending on her mood, Kate's sparkly eyes and eagerness to please.

And now, I am alone, blogging and all I hear is the fuzzy noise of the baby monitor. It is quiet...too quiet.

6 comments:

[AnnieR] said...

I love how every time I see a picture of Max or heck, even Max in person, he is holding an iPhone. You totally weren't exaggerating at all when you told me of his obsession.

They all are darling!

Have fun! Oh, the serenity. There's a part of me that's really sad for you but the other part (which may or may not be the majority, ahem) is totally jealous.

[AnnieR] said...

Wait. Is that an iPhone? Now I'm second guessing myself.

Laurel Dougall said...

another great post. congratulations/my condolences--enjoy!

tjnicky said...

How exciting!! Hopefully you will be able to get lots of things done and have time to be all that you want to be!!

Emily said...

Look at your adorable kids!!! When can we play? We need some time with the Reynolds!!!

The Clingos said...

Erica,
You're right, the kids do grow up so fast. But before you know it they will be at different schools and you will be spending all afternoon in your car picking them up. You will get nothing done except what you can do during the hours of 9:30 and 1:00, unless there is still a naptime tucked away somewhere in there. But at that point you will also have a build-in babysitter. All is good.
It is good for our 2 year olds to get a little attention though, too. I enjoy spending time with Matt as I attempt to find food he will even look at, never mind eat. I've gone on and on. Love ya, miss ya. Jenn Clingo