Wednesday, April 1, 2009

April Fool's day



Okay, so I'm not the best food photographer, but you get the idea.  I had fun with the kids tonight at dinner in honor of April 1st.  The cupcakes are really meatloaf and colored mashed potatoes.  Ella was so excited that I was serving cupcakes for dinner.  She said, " You are the best Mom ever." Even Robert asked if the cupcakes had the kind of frosting he liked.  Ella was so mad when she realized I tricked her.  It took a little while for her to get over the idea that we weren't have "real" cupcakes for dinner.  Kate kind of knew something was up and J thought it was great!    I told the kids we were having a backwards dinner and so for dessert we were having sliders or mini-hamburgers.  Kate kind of got upset when she thought there was mustard on her slider.  As soon as she realized it was just frosting, she gobbled it up.  I got a good laugh and we had a really fun dinner.  Happy April Fool's Day!

*I'm not clever enough to think of these things on my own. I got the food ideas at familyfun.com.  A great website.  Check it out.  I think I might try the sushi next year. 

8 comments:

Unknown said...

How Fun. I've seen these on Family Fun. Your's turned out SO good. Great Job!

Aby Runyan said...

Ok, so those are VERY cute. I've seen the meatloaf cupcakes but not the sliders. Way to show the rest of us up.
We had tacos for dinner. Regular tacos.
luv, aby

Babelicious said...

So fun--they look so great. I love Family Fun. So, I was puking my guts out on April Fools and told my kids we'd "celebrate" it later. Whatever that means. I think I'll do this on our fake April Fools Day. Thanks for the idea--Mom of the year!!

vidkid said...

Erica, you never cease to amaze me. Your wit humor and creativity is something to behold. I can't tell you how much I enjoy your blog.

tjnicky said...

You had me fooled!! Everything looked so real, I bet it was hard to eat colored mash potatoes!! YOu are such a fun mom, I'll have to steal that idea for next year!

jen and brody said...

I love it! You are so creative. And you're always cooking. I'm such a slacker. Haha. I'll let my hubby do the cooking.

Unknown said...

Erica --

SKILLS and smarts have a name and it's Erica. You are awesome.

Seriously . . . I thought they were burgers and cupcakes . . . though the frosting looked though the frosting looked a bit heavy.

love, Joe Meservy

Meek Family said...

What a fun idea. I'll have to try that next year.