Monday, January 26, 2009

A tale of a crazy woman and her neighbor's library card.

"Where's Max?"  I find myself asking this question in a panic more times than I want to admit during the day.  Sometimes to Kate, Ella or Jackson and sometimes out loud to myself.  There are times during the day when 30 seconds has gone by and I realize that I have not been aware of him; plenty of time for him to run out the front door, shut his fingers in the back door, empty out a kitchen drawer, find the butter knives, crawl up the stairs and climb in the bathtub fully clothed and turn on the water, flush (insert object here) down the toilet, re-program the cable, erase all the phone numbers on my cell.  You get the idea.     

I was innocently searching the freezer for something palatable for children when out plopped my gigantic, Costco sized bag of mixed vegetables onto my head and all over the floor.  It's nice being covered in mushrooms, baby carrots, snow peas and red peppers but it's even nicer when they are frozen.  I groaned and mumbled a few things that I won't share.  I grabbed the remaining veggies and lugged them outside to my not-quite-so-stuffed-with-oversized-veggies freezer.   I had just barely secured the culprits in my freezer when out came Jackson to see what I was up to.  He greeted me with these lovely words, "Don't worry, Mom.  I locked the door so Max can't come out."   Now this wouldn't concern me except I knew that all the other doors were locked and I did not have my keys.  Jackson had unwittingly locked us out and locked my 16 month HOLY  TERROR alone in the house. Panic, panic, panic!  I ran as fast as my heeled shoes and dimply bottom could take me down to my neighbor's house.  I'm not sure I was even coherent when I tried to explain what had happened.  My nice neighbor, let me in and I called a lock smith while she ran up with her baby to see if she could jimmy the door open with a her Clark County library card.  I quickly followed.  I could hear Max crying.  I grabbed the library card and bent the thing to all heck and back, but was able to pop the door open.  I saw my little Max's face: red, blotchy and wet.  He grabbed me and said, "mamamamama."  I realized that I would rather wear boy-short bikini bottoms (a nightmare, believe me!) & an unpadded bikini top (the horror!) with a snake draped all over me (Hate snakes. HATE!) than not be able to get to Max when he needs me. Then I proceeded to embarrass myself by starting to blubber in front of my neighbor.  

 I like to sometimes pretend that I am someone who has her act together.  You know, not a hair out of place, that sort of thing--right out of a Jane Austen novel.  I'm thinking Emma Thompson in Sense and Sensibility but with more cleavage and a hat with a feather in it. Like a frying pan smacking me in the face, I am reminded that image is not real.  Not even close.  So maybe I should just give it up and admit that my bra is roomy, my laundry is piled to the ceiling (at least the stuff that made it to the laundry room), my windows are covered with finger prints, I spent too much money last month, I forgot to pay my electricity bill, my heels are scaly and my toes still have black nail polish on them from Halloween (gross, I know!), and my car needs to be washed and has needed to be washed for weeks.  And now I can add to that list that I sob in front of the neighbors.  Not dainty little tears-- big fat, blow your nose kind of slobbery blubbering tears of relief.  Maybe my fantasy needs a little tweaking (I'm keeping the cleavage). Maybe I do.  I don't really care as long as I am there when my children need me.  

(I'm trying to end this blog in a Grey's Anatomy sort of fashion.  You know, where they make more meaning out of whatever happened in the episode and sum it up in a tidy fashion at the end with a syrupy deep thought.  But really, it's over-kill at the end of the episode that leaves you running for your remote so you don't have to listen to it?  How'd I do?  

Crap, I just confessed that I watch Grey's Anatomy, huh! (Only occasionally, in my closet, with a blanket over my head.) I'm really giving away too much here.  Next, I'll be talking about The Bache....)

12 comments:

Aby Runyan said...

That's nothing. Well not nothing, I mean getting locked out is NEVER nothing - I mean the blubbering is nothing. At least you had a REALLY good reason. I recently found myself crying incoherently to a pair of Silver Dollar City workers when they found a hat for Sable that had been lost. Yeah that's right, a hat. Now given, this was THE hat - HER hat that was totally and completely Sable. But still, a hat.
luvs, aby

PS - my car is currently so dirty that I routinely remind the kids to NOT touch it, at all.

Ashley K. said...

I just came across your blog... you are so funny and real. Thank you for letting my know that I am not the only one with a crazy pile of laundry and daily caos.

[AnnieR] said...

At least you did this all in heels. They could call you crazy but they could also call you classy.

chayes said...

Reminds me of a time sometime ago, when a cute little year old blonde girl (who now blubbers to her neighbors)locked her mother out of the house when she went to take out the garbage. Conveniently leaving herself and her 6 month old sister in the house.Thank goodness you could un-lock the deadbolt as well as lock it. I remember the panic so well!!!

chayes said...

You were three! It seems I don't edit so well!

Babelicious said...

I'm thinking you should get a smaller bra!!

Laurel Dougall said...

erica reynolds--you are so dang funny and i love your writing/posts. the spandex one cracked me up to. but what is the bache??? (is it something i would know if i were living in the states)

Angie said...

Right after my surgery..I put Jacob in his crib and went out to get the mail with Addie and totally locked myself out of the house as well. I freaked out...I knew jake was going to start walling if I didn't get back in there soon, I had to get my neighbors husband to get a ladder and pop out the screen to our bedroom window and climb through to let me in..(our bedroom was a mess too...I know our bed wasn't made and I am pretty sure i had a few bra's and other unmentionables lying around..Yikes!!) But I was so relieved to get to that little bundle of boy! We'd better warn Michelle that this runs in the family!!!

ericareynolds said...

Jodi--NO WAY! I'm not getting a smaller bra. That would be admitting that my boobs have shrunk. Next, you'll want me to admit my age!

Mom--I'm so sorry about locking you out of the house. Really, I am.

Angie- Maybe we should tell Michelle that she must always have a house key hidden somewhere outside!

Carolee said...

One day out running errands with Isaac (when he was about 2)...I locked him and the keys inside the car outside the post office. I was letting him play with the keys while I put him in his car seat. Shut his door and went to open mine and realized he had hit the lock button on the keys! Luckily, Jared worked close by and he answered his phone when I called....so he came to get us out; while I stood in the post office parking lot talking to a crying toddler through the closed windows while people walked in and out of the post office watching me!! Looks like this might be a motherhood rite of passage?!? But, thanks for the good laugh and comforting notion that I wasn't the only one out there.

And I still think you are a super MOM and Emma.

MediocreMama said...

Grey's Anatomy ending? I couldn't tell you. I choose to spend my time watching meaningful shows (not ashamed to admit it either):

The Bachelor

True Beauty

Kath and Kim

Thank goodness for libraries AND their cards.

MediocreMama said...
This comment has been removed by the author.