Wednesday, October 8, 2008

135 MacDougal St. #3A

When I first walked in, I sat down on one of the double beds provided for married students attending NYU and cried.  I couldn't decide what to cry about more: the shit-brown walls(pardon my language, but that really was the color!), the 480 square feet, the tiny closet, the big cockroach in the bathtub, the elf size stove and refrigerator, the three floors I had just walked up, the glaring lack of any appliance that washes, or maybe the fact that I had overpacked just a wee bit.
(Entertaining friends)
 
And yes, that is the whole apartment! Robert grew to love the place, but I never did.


When we went back to NYC a few weeks ago, we walked by our old apartment on MacDougal.  I was elated to see that I was proven correct--the building was about ready to fall down--it was boarded up and everything. I felt vindicated!  And I got to tell Robert that I was right about our old hell-hole of an apartment.  I felt giddy!  That is, until I read the sign.  Well, I'm off to google asbestos poisoning...

4 comments:

B said...

k well, this is a comical post... but um... that's a little scary! Wasn't Kate a baby when you lived there? Yikes! Well if you end up having mesothelioma... I know a lawyer you could call ;)

Sarah said...

THat is too funny! I LOVE a good "I told you so" when it comes to husbands.

Aby Runyan said...

This sounds SO familiar to my mom's old law school war stories about her and dad's first apartment there - when he went to Columbia. I feel quite sure I wouldn't have made it. One rat sighting and I would have running for the hills.
luvs, aby

Carolee said...

But remember those newly wed years are the happiest and best years, right?!? That is what my mom kept telling me when we were doing school.....