Sunday, August 31, 2008

The Bun

Most of you know that I wear a bun in my hair all the time.  No occasion is the exception.  I wear a bun at church, at the gym, at home, on dates with my husband, at the movies, at night to bed.  You get the idea.  I've even overheard myself described as "the girl who always wears a bun in her hair."  That one made me cringe.  You see, it's not as if I love this particular hairstyle.  It's just so easy and practical.  My husband loves my hair long.  And when I say love, I probably mean an emotion even stronger than that--maybe obsessed would be the word.  
When we were first married, he left me for three days to go see his brother return from his mission to Japan.  I decided to cut my hair, as all newly married women do.  I tried to explain to him that it really wasn't my fault, I didn't disregard his wishes, it's a phenomenon with newly married women.  It was pretty much inevitable that I would do it, once I said, " I do."   That line of reasoning did little to convince him.  Let's just say that I have yet to repeat the experience in our eleven years of marriage.  He's much more easy going about my hair now, but still prefers it long and I prefer to keep him happy.  So in the bun it goes, because I am, if anything a lover of the easy and practical. 
Today I woke up feeling uneasy.  I wanted to do something different with my hair.  I wanted to blow it out, leave it long and frustrate everyone's opinion of "that girl with a bun."  I didn't want to be her today.   Sadly, Ella wanted to be in time-out for fighting with her sister and brother numerous times.  Jackson wanted answers to important questions like, "How does the garage opener work?" and "What does invisible mean? Why is the air invisible? How come we bleed? Where does our food go? Are peas good for you?"  Kate wanted to talk about complex emotions and figure out why everything isn't fair and find her missing underwear.  Max wanted to be rescued from the toilet bowl, the stairs, the balloon piece in his mouth and a whopper of a poopy diaper.  Yet, I still had hope--until ten minutes before we had to leave for church. 
 I was downstairs with drippy, wet hair feeding Max his lunch.  I finished up and on my way up the stairs to my blow dryer, I discovered J sitting in our coat closet with a pair of scissors.  He had already cut up his brand new gymboree, plaid church socks and was working on his pants.  After a mini meltdown(mine) and a time-out(his), I was back on track to my blow dryer and then I discovered Ella in the bathroom with an entire tube of gel in her hair,  mixed in with hair spray and leave-in conditioner.  She was repentant and the damage was done--so I said little and we washed her hair.  By this time, I  was at least 30 minutes late.
 We ran out the door: Jackson in his cut-up, hole-filled socks, Kate in her dress sans sash, Ella in her wet bun and ripped-up jelly shoes, Max and his poopy diaper and me, in a wrinkled dress with my hair in, of course, a bun. 

And that folks, is the reason why I ALWAYS wear my hair in a bun.

Of course, sometimes I'm just lazy.  

8 comments:

Meredith said...

cute story. it reminds me of when i was 6 and reading a book on the big chair in the family room and i realized that sarah and/or cameron (brother) had been screaming for years straight, elizabeth had been piano plinking the same dumbed down version of canon in D for about that same amount of time, and that the dishwasher, washing machine, and the disney channel had been blaring and humming since absolutely the beginning of time. and i had become used to it to the point of tune-out-iness, enough to carry on reading my book. and thus my mom had time to turn my hair into a chronic pony tail (or a snarly mess beside my shoulders). but "the bun" sounds way cooler than "the pony."

and of course, since it's in the unreachable past, i miss the rugged chaos of my 80s and 90s.

and why IS the air invisible?!

B said...

I love the way you write, I can always get such a clear mental picture of your day!!! I go through periods where my hair is always in a bun too, it got better when I bought a flat-iron though. Now I wash it at night, and it dries while I sleep, then the flat iron takes about 25 minutes, but it seems to be easier than the hair dryer (at least for me!) I can usually do it once every 2-3 days, you just do the whole turban towel in the shower on the other days.

BUT... I really like the way your hair looks in a bun! At least it looks good ;)

Emily said...

As someone who has always admired your bun(and your buns)I must say you wear it beautifully. Much nicer than the standard messy ponytail that I do whenever life gets hectic or I am lazy (like everyday.) I've always loved your hair. I agree with Bob, keep it long. But if you do cut it, please save the cut pieces so I can make extensions out of them. I'll never be patient enough to grow my hair out long.

Aby Runyan said...

I gotta say that I totally understand Bob getting upset way back when - I've often found MYSELF getting upset when I see newly married women chopping their hair off!
I actually think short hair is harder, I've had EVERY single length hair imaginable (well except shaved I guess). When I had it short it was SO much work!
Hey, you could just be like me - wear it down and have it always look frizzy and nuts because I never actually do anything to it. Tempting, I know.
luvs, aby

avey said...

Oh my gosh.....Erica you are so funny. You are so descriptive and I can just see you going through all that. You're certainly a better mom than me because all that would have been the excuse I needed to just stay home. I love you : )

Anonymous said...

So cool to find your blog! I'm having fun reading thru the posts.
I am still cracking up about your sunday post. I feel your pain. I could have written this and just changed the names...:)

Angie said...

I love the bun!! you even inspired me to start wearing one. Although, I don't think it looks as good on me as it does on you.

Sarah said...

Yeah to find your blog! I like your hair in a bun. In fact, I think it makes you look very put together!