Monday, July 28, 2008

The Question!

It happened.  I got the question.

The scene:  Happily driving the kids to the grocery store.  Not  a care in the world.   Feeling so good and righteous that I had the radio turned off and was actually talking to my children, even though a part of me had a great desire to be belting out Vampire Weekend songs.

Ella:  Mom, how does Heavenly Father put babies in a mommy's tummy?

Me: (heart pounding, sweating profusely) Ah, um...well, uh, you see...you have to grow up and get married and then you pray and hopefully, Heavenly Father sends you some children.

Kate: Mom, I need more details than that!

Me:  (Thinking: "Really, you do?  You're seven.") Okay, a Mom and a Dad each have special parts on their bodies and when they meet, it's possible to have a baby.  Hey, is that a bird flying in they sky over there? (They really like birds!)

Whew!  Hopefully, my bird subterfuge will buy me a few more years, so I can figure out what the HECK to say next time they want DETAILS.  

6 comments:

Brandon Bridge said...

Haha...good luck with the next time

Emily said...

good job. i will send cali your way when she starts asking questions.

ps. vampire weekend?! you are the coolest. tom bought that cd and although it is in his car, the case somehow ended up in mine. i leave it out so that people think it's me who has the cool taste in music.

ericareynolds said...

It's the hubby, Emmy. If it were up to me, I'd probably still be listening to Steve Miller Band and feeling like it was pretty edgy.

Aby Runyan said...

Ok. So I am officially the uncoolest member of the family. Is uncoolest a word? I guess now it is.
Anyway, I have absolutely NO idea who or what Vampire Weekend is.
luvs, aby

PS - the "incident" with Kate is classic!

ericareynolds said...

Itunes, Aby. It's your friend. Check 'em out.

Babelicious said...

Hey, I can send Case down to give them the talk. The other day he told me he thought we should sit Hallie down and give her "the talk" before she starts 1st grade. Is he CRAZY?? She just turned 6. I had to recruit my mother-in-law to stop the madness!! Case is blunt and doesn't leave out details, and he seems to love the talk. He always has to teach the YM the morality lessons. I'm always worried that he'll be so blunt and I'll be so embarrassed that I'll have to move. Wasn't this suppose to be a comment, not a novel???